Book

Book

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Module 2: Political and Cutural Dimension





M2 R1: Flags of the UK



M2 R2: Text Analysis: RP

Link to "The Story of English", Episode 1, Part 1.





Transcript

08:25 – 09:01

1)      I think, you know, when you does have a particularly foreign accent, whose right in the borders, would firstly be sort of persuaded…gradually sort of conformed with everybody else, and if it didn’t, it’d be ostracized, put out and people go out their way and be unpleasant to make.
2)      When I first came here, I had a working-class accent and thus always sort of …after a while I was ridiculed… When you gradually change your accent so… that dies away.


M2 R3:  Link to an online etymological dictionary



M2 R4: Text Analysis: Cockney


Transcript: 

...
00:06 
I've seen it on the text and in the papers and that, but I didn't really believe it. Then when I got to the game like there was a few rumours flying about. But then like the boss announced the team that I was playing so I was chuffed but nervous at the same time.
...

No, no one knew like, you know, until they obviously would tell in the picture that in, you know, on the channel.
...

Well, I think he just jumps up in it (...) I think.
...

I was waiting for it to go in and as soon as it went in, I couldn't believe it, you know. I just... It was a dream, just a dream. And like I never felt anything like it, I never.
...   

02.30 
I feel me mates in London are answering and saying I'm lucky and that. I know I'm lucky but, you know, you have to give up a lot of things and I was prepared to do that to get what I want, and as for that, I do get what I want. 


M2 R5: Cover of Paul Coggle's book on Estuary English




M2 R6: Text Analysis: Estuary English

                           

Transcript:  


We're gonna do omelets. Omelets are fantastic. They are cheap, they are flexible. You can use all sorts of different things: crispy bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheeses, you name it. 

I think omelets are the kind of thing that don't really get so credit. They do, actually: if they are cooked beautifully, they are incredible.
They are cheap. Eggs are one of the best forms of proteins.
Go free-range kind of eggs, you'll be laughing.

Personally, I use three eggs for a main course omelet. 
Just crak one of these. Get your egg, crak it on the side, open it up. If, for any reason, you get shell in there, use the half of the shell to get the shell out. if you try with your fingers you will be going like these all night and it wont work. 

So, a pinch of salt and pepper, like that. Some people put milk and cream, I don't, at all.

I got a pan. The right size of pan is about sort of 7 inches, I guess.
That's on a medium heat. Whisk up your eggs. Just a little bit of oil, extra virgen overseas is a nice way to go. A knob of butter in there. Then it starts to melt. Give it a chibby amount in the pan. You want to coat the bottom of the pan, like that. 

The great thing about omelets and eggs is that if you get the first one wrong,
then learn from it try again and just get it perfect. If it's too dark, cook it less. If it's too hard, cook it less. If it's too soft, cook it more. 
...


M2 R7:Text Analysis: Welsh English


Transcript:

REV. ELI JENKINS

Dear Gwalia! I know there are
Towns lovelier than ours,
And fairer hills and loftier far,
And groves more full of flowers,

And boskier woods more blithe with spring
And bright with birds' adorning,
And sweeter bards than I to sing
Their praise this beauteous morning.

By Cader Idris, tempest-torn,
Or Moel yr Wyddfa's glory,
Carnedd Llewelyn beauty born,
Plinlimmon old in story,

By mountains where King Arthur dreams,
By Penmaenmawr defiant,
Llaregyb Hill a molehill seems,
A pygmy to a giant.

By Sawdde, Senny, Dovey, Dee,
Edw, Eden, Aled, all,
Taff and Towy broad and free,
Llyfhant with its waterfall,

Claerwen, Cleddau, Dulais, Daw,
Ely, Gwili, Ogwr, Nedd,
Small is our River Dewi, Lord,
A baby on a rushy bed.

By Carreg Cennen, King of time,
Our Heron Head is only
A bit of stone with seaweed spread
Where gulls come to be lonely.

A tiny dingle is Milk Wood
By Golden Grove 'neath Grongar,
But let me choose and oh! I should
Love all my life and longer

To stroll among our trees and stray
In Goosegog Lane, on Donkey Down,
And hear the Dewi sing all day,
And never, never leave the town.


Activity:
Listen to the poem and find examples of the following features:
  • non-rhotic accent
  • thrilled /r/
  • /i/ produced as an /e/
  • -ing as /in/
  • absence of yod /j/
  • Other features

M2 R8: link to a web page with further listening extracts on Welsh English




M2 R9: Text Analysis: Scottish English




Transcript:

-Where's the buttons?
-Oh no, they've installed voice-recognition technology in this lift, they have no buttons.
-Voice-recognition technology? In a lift? In Scotland? You ever tried voice-recognition technology?
-No
-They don't do Scottish accents
-Eleven
-Could you please repeat that?
-Eleven
-Eleven, eleven
-Eleven
-Whose idea was this? You need to try an American accent. ELEVEN, ELEVEN.
-That sounds Irish, not American
-No, it doesn't! ELEVEN
-Where in America is that -Dublin?
-I'm sorry. Could you repeat that?
-Try an English accent. ELEVEN, ELEVEN
-You're from the same part of England as Dick van Dyke
-Let's hear yours then, smartass
-Please, speak slowly and clearly
-SMARTASS
-ELEVEN
-I'm sorry. Could you repeat that?
-ELEVEN. If you don't understand the lingo, away back to your home country!
-Ooh, it's that talk now,is it? "Away back home to your own country?"
-Oh, don't start Mr. Bleeding Heart, how can you be racist to a lift?
-Please, speak slowly and clearly
-ELEVEN, ELEVEN, ELEVEN, ELEVEN!
-You're just saying it the same way!
-I'm going to keep saying it until it understands Scottish, alright?
-ELEVEN, ELEVEN, ELEVEN, ELEVEN!
-Oh just take us anywhere, ya cow! Just open the doors!
-This is a voice-activated elevator. Please state which floor you would like to go to in a clear and calm manner. 
-Calm? Calm? Where's that coming from? Why is it telling people to be calm?
-Because they knew they'd be selling this to Scottish people who'd be going off their nuts at it!
-You have not selected a floor
-Aye, we have! ELEVEN!
-If you would like to get out of the elevator without selecting a floor, simply say "Open the doors, please"
-Please? Please? Suck my w*
-Maybe we should just say "please"
-I'm not begging that for nothing
-OPEN THE DOORS, PLEASE
-"Please" Pathetic!
-Please remain calm
-Oh my God! You wait until I get up there... just wait for it to speak..
-You have not selected a floor
-Up yours, ya cow! If you don't let us through these doors, I'm gonna come to America, I'm gonna find whatever desperate actress gave you a voice, and I'm gonna go the electric chair for ye!
-SCOTLAND, YOU B*!
-SCOTLAND!
-SCOTLAND!
-FREEDOM!
-FREEDOM!
-Going up? 




Activity: 
Listen to the video and find examples of the following features:

  • rhotic accent
  • diphthong alterations
  • -ing as /in/
  • neglect of /t/ 
  • other phonological features
  • Scotticisms



M2 R10: Link to a web page with further listening extracts on Scottish English

http://accent.gmu.edu/searchsaa.php?function=detail&speakerid=82


M2 R11: Text Analysis: Ireland





Transcript:


7:42
I'm an innocent man. 
I spent 15 years in prison for something I didn't do.
I watched my father die in a British prison for something he didn't do.
And this government still says he's guilty.
I want to tell them that until my father is proved innocent, until all the people involved in this case are proved innocent, until the guilty ones are brought to justice, I will fight on. In the name of my father and of the truth!




Activity:
Listen to the extract from the film In the Name of the Father and find examples of the following features:

  •  rhotic accent
  • vowel alterations
  • monothongs
  • other features

M2 R12: Link to a web page with further listening extracts on Irish English



No comments:

Post a Comment